Design Challenge Waterford will hold a “drop in” information desk in Garter Lane (Theatre building) manned by Cultural Quarter representatives on Friday 21st September, between 1-3pm.
This is an ideal opportunity to engage with the Design Challenge process in the heart of the cultural quarter. Equipped with Design Challenge submission forms, information and assistance, the information desk is aimed at helping you access the Design Challenge competition right on your doorstep.
An Idea that is developed and put in to action is more important than an idea that exists only in the mind.’
Edward de Bono (Designer and Innovator)
The Design Challenge is a competition that encourages different communities in the O’Connell Street area to identify challenges that they experience in living, working and using the O’Connell Street area. The Design industry will be asked to look at the challenges and to develop possible solutions. These innovative proposals are to encourage greater creativity in the area and are for any community or team to benefit from, in the Cultural Quarter. For further information read on or check out www.designchallengewaterford.ie
The design industry and multi-disciplinary teams will work with the community in the development of their proposals through a series of workshops.
Some examples of Design Challenges might include:
- I feel uncomfortable on O’Connell street because it doesn’t show my culture anywhere in a visual way
- My children don’t have anywhere safe to play close to where I live in the WCQ neighbourhood
- I would like to find good workspace where I can work collaboratively with other artists
- My business and other business on the street would like to be identified as being part of the WCQ
- There’s a lack of secure bicycle parking on the street.